CEJIL Job Opportunity
APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 14th, 2012
ORGANIZATION FOCUS: International Human Rights Law in Latin America
SALARY: Mid-forties (Plus benefits)
STARTING DATE: November 1st, 2012
The Center for Justice and International Law (CEJIL) seeks a bilingual (Spanish/English) Attorney to litigate human rights cases before the Inter-American System for the Protection of Human Rights. This position will be based in Washington, DC. Established in 1991 by a group of prominent Latin American human rights defenders, CEJIL is a regional organization that works to promote human rights throughout the Hemisphere through the effective use of the Inter-American System.
1. Support the litigation of cases primarily from the Andean Region and North America before the Inter-American Commission and Court;
2. Maintain relationships with local NGOs, government representatives, and international organizations in Latin America;
3. Design and support training sessions, workshops, and materials about the Inter-American System or international human rights law;
4. Participate in and support activities designed to strengthen the Inter-American System, such as writing position papers, participating in advocacy initiatives, etc.;
5. Complete institutional responsibilities, such as writing Trip Reports and Work Plans, among others;
6. Assist with general administrative tasks;
7. Other duties as assigned.
1. Demonstrate an interest in international human rights law;
2. Law Degree (Masters preferred but not required);
3. Three years of work experience, preferably at the international level;
4. Strong analytical skills and the ability to develop convincing legal arguments;
5. Mastery of English language, with outstanding English writing skills;
6. Ability to write, edit, and communicate fluently in Spanish;
7. Ability to work on own initiative and work with others as part of a team;
8. Ability to work under pressure and on various projects at once;
9. Willingness to travel and work in a multicultural environment.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Short-listed applicants will be interviewed in Washington, DC or by phone. Final candidates will eventually be asked to submit a writing sample in Spanish and write a legal brief on a topic relevant to the Inter-American System.
CEJIL offers an excellent benefits package that includes generous paid vacation, as well as employer-paid health, dental and life insurance. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume no later than September 14th, 2012 by email only to email@example.com (subject: Attorney Search). Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.